• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts S1 Propellers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biplane34

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Pitts S1 with a stock 180 horsepower Lycoming O-360 turning a metal Sensenich 76” diameter 56” pitch prop. This is the same prop that comes stock with a factory Pitts S1S.

I like the performance of this prop. However, I am concerned with possible crankshaft stress fatigue associated with heavier metal props. Therefore, I have been looking for a lighter composite prop.

I’ve communicated with several Pitts drivers who use fixed pitch 3-blade props (both Catto and Performance) and received similar complaints – They are disappointed with 3-blade performance, specifically more drag and less acceleration. They say 2-blades perform better than 3-blades.

So now I’ve decided against a 3-blade and will look for a 2-blade composite prop. I narrowed my search to MT and Catto: MT 186R160-4G propeller (73” diameter 63” pitch) and Catto 76” diameter 58” pitch propeller.

I've heard both good and bad things about the MT and Catto props - Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back