• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts S1S Engine Mount Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgardner

Reaction score
Hi gang-

Just got an engine for my S1S Project, an IO-360-B4A. Should be here later this week.

I am still in need of an engine mount, however, after comparing the location of my mounting holes on the fuse to the Steen Aero Lab Plans, I noticed that the upper holes are slightly lower and narrower than called for.

Cartesian Custom Tube in Canada sent me a drawing yesterday that had some diagonal dimensions on it, and we are debating a "custom" engine mount, however, I'm almost wondering if it is best to buy a stock engine mount, which should match my lower mounting hole location, and re-locate the upper mounting holes, even though that is a bit of a chore.

The Cartesian Drawing shows 18.712 for the bottom hole width, I got 18 11/16th (Decimal equivalent is 18.6875, so a .0245 difference)

The upper hole width sould be 26.750, I'm at 25 6/16

Height should be 18 inches, I show 17 7/16 for both left and right.

Diaganols (not shown on Steen plans) show 18.443 direct from the lower mounting holes to the upper--I have 17 11/16 on the left hand side of the fuselage and 17 12/16 on the right hand side of the fuselage.

Diagonals from the Upper hole to the opposite side lower hole show 28.995

For the Lower right to upper left, I show 27 15/16

For the Lower Left to Upper Right, I show 28 2/16

From my measurements yesterday, my upper right hole is slightly wider and slightly taller.

Thoughts, comments welcome. I can send my measurements to Cartesian and see what they say, but I'm still tempted, even though it would be labor intensive, to buy a stock mount from them/Steen/Raven (anyone else supply them?) and put the upper holes where they should be.

Also need to confirm that the -B4A will mate to the 33521 Dynofocal ring from Spruce.

Doug

Latest posts

Back