• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts S1S - Open Cockpit or Sliding Canopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

Gary Sky Walker
Reaction score
Biplaneforum Members.

I need your help again. I have a Pitts S1S with a standard Pitts S1S sliding canopy that is complete and ready to go fly. I also have a Pitts S1S that I am putting together that has an open cockpit that is complete and ready to be mounted. I am planning on making it a "Retro" style Pitts. These Pitts are based in Houston Texas where the weather allows open cockpit flying 12 months a year. I am at the building point where I need to decide if I should buy a sliding canopy or not for the "Retro" Pitts.

My question to the Biplaneforum is what are the advantages or disadvantages of having an open cockpit verses a sliding canopy Pitts S1S. What is it like flying aerobatics a Pitts S1S with a open cockpit compared to a Pitts S1S with a sliding canopy.

Please feel free to comment. Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks Again
Gary Walker

Latest posts

Back