• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts s2b wing dimension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick A

Reaction score
Repairing two wings of a Pitts S2b 1993 I measured the spars and cap strips: <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
For the cap strips I have mostly
1.) 7,15mm x 7,15mm, also some with 10mm x 7,15mm.

2.) For the upper front spar: 109mm x23mm, trapezoid angle 8,5°,
3.) for the lower front spar: 85mm x 18,4mm, trapezoid angle 8,5°,
4.) for the upper rear spar: 100mm x 22,5mm, trappezoid angle 6,5°,
5.) for the lower rear spar: 72mm x 20,5mm, trapezoid angle 4,5°.

Somebody can confirm the sizes that I get e.g. at aircraft spruce:
1.) 5/16 x 5/16 and 5/16 x 7/16 for the cap strips (60m for 2 wings)
For the 4 spars (length each 2,70m):
2.) 4 ½ x 15/16
3.) 3 ½ x ¾
4.) 4 x 7/8
5.) 3 x 7/8

Also I measured 2mm and 3mm and 7mm Plywood. Which plywood can I take? At ACS there are plywood like Basswood MIL- P 6070 or lite ply or domestical.
Can anyone help me with the dimensions? Which wood-dimension should I buy. Also I don’t know how thick the varnish is. Thanks for answering.
Patrick

Latest posts

Back