• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts Transition / Gear Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B DOLAN

Reaction score

I am looking to transition from a 1995 Super Decathlon to a stock S-1S (built in 1984). The Pitts I am looking to purchase is currently having the engine overhauled and has bungee gear of course. With the engine out this would be the ideal time to upgrade the gear to the RV style via Steve Wolf. My questions are:
For those who had bungee geared Pitts and converted to RV style gear, was the ground handling characteristics quite noticeably improved ?
Would I benefit from an RV geared airplane as a "fledgling" Pitts pilot ?
I have yet to determine who I will do my Pitts training with, I am heavily leaning towards Steve Wolf but must travel to Florida which is the only caveat (wish you were still in Oregon). I have accommodations in Arizona so this would be far more convenient. I am also considering Chandler Air Service as it is a 20 minute drive from the house in Arizona. Has anyone flown with them ? Budd is also close by in Scottsdale but have heard he teaches one landing style. I fly out of of a busy Class C airport so I must learn various methods of landing the Pitts, long straight in approaches are the norm and the 180 degree turn to final non-existent. Any other experience based recommendations in western North America for training ?
Edited by: B DOLAN

Latest posts

Back