• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts weight and balance - prop selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of threads regarding prop selection for the Pitts. I have a solid flange crank so am more interested in weight and balance rather than metal vs composite. Does an S-1S normally balance out tail heavy?

Alterations on my Pitts are
4” Tailwheel with round rod spring.
No battery box assembly in fuselage.
Slightly lighter turtle deck - carbon -2lbs~
Simple panel planned - light comm, steam ASI and ALT, AV-30 and MGL blaze EMS.
Carbon/Kevlar seat base and back.
Wolf wings - don’t think they are much lighter than stock maybe a few lbs.
Earth X battery - unsure of location but if possible firewall.
IO-360 parallel valve. Built with light weight components. Probably 5-6lbs lighter than a stock A1A.
Carbon cowl and spinner.
RV-3 gear.
Titanium firewall.

I’m 6’2” tall and weigh 180lbs

Will a composite prop end up needing weight added on the nose? If so I’d consider using the metal prop.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back