• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Poor Starter Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraupman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am struggling to nail down the core problem causing my poor starter performance. I am successful in starting the plane 95% of the time, but it usually takes several attempts to get the starter over the first compression stroke. I have owned the plane for less than a year and it had this condition when I bought it. The battery is brand new.

What are the "normal" losses are in the system? Across the battery terminals I am getting about 9.5 to 10 volts when the prop is turning and 9 volts when it stalls. There's a volt or more of loss through the master contactor and ground wire. By the time it gets up to the starter up front there's only about 7 volts left rotating and 5 when it stalls. Clearly not enough.

Any suggestions on how to narrow in on what will fix this?

Battery and Contactor.jpg

Starter.jpg

Latest posts

Back