• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Potential builder looking for a few test rides

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grum.man

Reaction score
Been lurking around for some time now enjoying the wealth of information this site provides and the great build threads. I have been trying to decide for some time now what I want to build. I really like the looks of biplanes but have never been in one. All my flying time has been in a Cessna, Cherokee, or my Grumman Yankee. For the most part my decision has come down to either a Skybolt, Hatz Classic, or Starduster/Acroduster. The first thing I need to narrow down is if I want an open or closed cockpit. Living in central NC open cockpit weather is available most of the year and in this case still is even in late December.

I would like to get a ride in some biplanes if there is anyone willing in NC, VA, SC, TN area. I am in Statesville NC but can fly to meet you somewhere. Of course it goes without saying that I would gladly pay for fuel and your time. It doesn't have to be in one of the aircraft I listed though that would be a plus. Just looking to see if I would enjoy a more laid back open cockpit or a more capable enclosed one.

My aerobatic experience is limited to an hour or so in a Decathlon. I enjoyed it but wasn't exactly relaxed either. In other words, I am not sure if a serious aerobatic mount is for me or not. Just about any biplane I am looking at is capable of the type of acro I think I would be interested in.

Latest posts

Back