• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Powder Coating questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I have been wanting to powder coat my fuse for some time now. I'm getting close to that point soon. I have had my engine mount and gear legs powder coated by a local company but it was rather expensive ($300) and I wasn't thrilled with the finish. I have been calling around to companies in the Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Baltimore. I have talked with one company and they wanted to use play sand from lowes to sand blast my fuse (argh!) and I asked about the TCI coating I wanted and I had to explain the product to them, Almost hung up the phone mid conversation.

I then called a industrial powder coating company in baltimore sent them some photos and details and he wouldnt give me a quote because he was nervous about media blasting the thin walled tubing and thin rib material. He was, however, fairly knowledgeable about the TCI coating I wanted and I asked him about Phosphate wash they said they wouldn't normally do that.

It seems that the second I tell them that they would need to be careful
blasting my 0.025 parts they freak and back away from the project. My question back to the group is a phosphate wash required if you media blast?

Edited by: acropilotbret

Latest posts

Back