• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Praise for freightquote.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need to ship something too large for UPS etc., I recommend the above.

I recently got a Todd's AD2 canopy from a forum member in CA. I'm in WV. Todd's uses freightquote.com so I did too. I SHOULD have used his agent "Bob" but I did the shipment myself online and was assigned another agent.

The package was 50#, 84"X28"X22". The best quote was $308 if I picked it op at the shipper's depot in Winchester, VA. (I won't mention shipper online but will PM)

The forum member did a good job having it ready for PU. I got a call 4 days later it was in Winchester. I took my PU and went for it. Nothing was said out of order, I signed for it and picked it up off a forklift and slid it into my old PU.

A few days later I get an email from freightquote that the carrier claims to have weighed it in San Diego and it weighed 90# and that unless I could prove it's weight my card would be billed another $196.06.

I talked to my agent and he suggested weighing w/pictures. I did so and putting it on my aircraft scale found it weighed 53.5# It's original weight from Todd's was 49# but the seller has added an old chute for padding.

I sent pictures of box, contents and scale with box on it.

Yesterday get another email from freightquote senior disputes manager saying that is not enough. Indeed what the carrier wanted is not possible for me or the seller as private persons to provide.

I talked to my freightquote agent and asked if my calling the carrier would help and he said that they probably would not talk to me as freightquote is the actual consigner or ee? I told him I was not happy but decided not to screw freightquote, I would eat it and not cancel my credit card payment(which had not yet been charged) But I was pretty pissed.

Now the bottom line. My agent said after talking to Bob(Todd's Canopies agent) he was convinced that 45-50# at most was correct weight, that he he didn't want to mess with it anymore and that HE/THEY would eat the extra charge and I would not be billed.

Anyway, I think freightquote. is a decent company and makes freight shipments fairly painless. My agent didn't bad mouth the carrier, said they all are about the same in this regard....

That said, I'll never know exactly how/who/what/why my box acquired an impossible(Todd's words) weight. But I can't B..... about the above......?

FWIW

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back