• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pre-start procedures to minimize galling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Reaction score
I want to minimize the galling damage to an IO-540 Lycoming engine that has been sitting in a hangar for three years without having been run.

I had an airboat with an automotive engine that would sit idle for 9 months until the next duck hunting season and I applied a pre-start regimen before firing it up and the engine always maintained its compression and worked flawlessly,

I was wondering if it would be of value to do the same to the Lycoming.

The regimen I use for the auto engine is as follows:

A -- Drain the oil and remove the filter - then replace them both.

B -- Pre-lube the engine by forcing oil into the engine through the block tap-off to the oil pressure gage.

C -- Remove the spark plugs and spray WD-40 into the cylinders and let it set for a while.

D – With the spark plugs removed rock the crankshaft (by turning the prop) in both directions starting with small movements and increasing the arc until a full rotation is made while continuing to spray in the WD-40.

E -- With the spark plugs still out, fuel restricted and the ignition disabled crank the starter until pressure registers on the oil pressure gauge.

F -- Replace the spark plugs and fire it up.

QUESTIONS:

1. Will the above regimen do a good job or is there a better way?

2. If memory serves, I once forced oil into a rebuilt Continental 0-200 through the crankcase tap off to the oil pressure gauge. Would this be applicable to the Lycoming engine as well?

Latest posts

Back