• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Propeller for SA100 / 0-290

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the prop on my plane. Nothing wrong with it, the plane performs just fine, but it's an O-290G and there's a note in the aircraft papers saying "aerobatics not recommended" due to the thin flange (it does have the reinforcing plates). [FONT=&quot]I’d like to replace it with a wood or composite prop to put less load on the thin flange of the -G engine. A lighter prop will also help with the aircraft’s nose heavy condition.
[/FONT]

I'm actually not sure what I have right now.
[FONT=&quot] I can find no markings on the propeller, though I haven’t removed the prop so I don’t know if it’s marked on the front or back face. The initial entry in the aircraft logbook says M-76AM (incomplete part number?), s/n 50-184. Elsewhere in the aircraft papers there is a 1984 receipt from Pacific Propeller for repairs to a 74DM6-0-58 s/n A43409, though there's no mention in the logs of the prop being replaced. There is a log entry stating the prop was reinstalled after being reconditioned in 2007, but no mention of model or serial or who reconditioned it.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I measured the prop at 72” diameter and 61” pitch, blade angle measured on the back face with a Warp Drive protractor 27” (75%) from the centerline. That angle at that distance could also mean it's a cut down 76x58 prop.

Cost wise (I'm always broke) it could be a wash if I sell the metal prop.
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back