• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Propellor choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billie

Reaction score
I wondered if there is anyone out there who could help me spend some money?
I have owned my Skybolt now for 15 years and it came time for an overhaul of the engine. (Lycoming IO 360 A1A). That started off as a plain old overhaul but began to run away as these things always seem too....

Anyway I bought a Lightspeed Engineeering Plasma 111 kit and had some discussions with the LAA (who adminster homebuilt aircraft in the UK) . They are VERY conservative and any form of modification is a battle. I did think about buying a three bladed prop whilst I was about it (we have a 6 year mandatory overhail cycle and even though it had less than 200 hours the existing Hartzell 2 bladed prop was due a full overhaul) In the end I decided against the 3 bladed prop because of the expense and marginal gain. Instead I spent a load of money instead replacing all the ancillaries , Teflon hoses etc so everything firewall forward was new. I also sent off the prop and governor to be overhauled

Anyway 5 months after I submitted my Mod application, I finally got an answer back from the LAA saying that I would have to change the prop if I am to use electronic ignition. They quoted the FAA[FONT=&quot] TCDS No. P-920 .

So now [FONT=&quot]I[/FONT] have an overhauled prop that I need to sell and have to buy a new [FONT=&quot]type of prop.[/FONT]

So the question is , which prop to buy?

I use the Skybolt for aerobatics and want to go air racing this year (if [FONT=&quot]i[/FONT]t ever gets put back together)

I will have to choose something with a similar weight to the existing Hartzell [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HC-C2YK-1B/7666A-2 prop as I was already near the aft CofG limits (I am quite heavy). So, although I have moved the battery to the firewall from behind the rear seat, I have also lost a lot of weight from the ancillaries forward of the firewall.

I was thinking of a 3 bladed MT . It needs to be constant speed , both for weight and the aeros , 3 blades look better than 2, but other benefits are marginal (that might start a discussion!)

Does anyone have any better suggestions than the MT?

Thanks

Jason
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back