• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Retrofit fitting in fuel tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr

Figured out how to edit this.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long-time listener, first-time caller! Filthy buyer here.

I obtained a very basic, light AcroSport II last summer and have been busily adding all kinds of useless junk (like a radio and transponder) to it due to my location inside the MSP Mode C ring.

The last electrical project for the winter is to install a fuel gauge. I know the plans call for a Pitts type sight gauge, and there is one installed, but I have not found it accurate enough for my liking - it seems to stick at particular points. So, that much is settled. Need a fuel gauge. Doesn't need to be fancy, but it should be better than what's in there.

I settled on the Belite type gauge. In particular this sender: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/probesystem10-05728.php

My question is kinda two-fold: do I need an additional tap on the tank for this (I assume teeing off the fuel line would lead to strange pressure readings, maybe not though), and secondly, how does the addition of a tap typically go? I would imagine the tank needs to be very, very dry before you even think about getting a drill anywhere near it. I did not see anything in my plans covering a tap, but I might well have skipped right by it.

Cheers,

jpr

Latest posts

Back