• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Rib building and glue method

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebiplane

Reaction score

Hey guys!
Been messing around with my ribs jig for the Acro2 and have a question I can't find an answer to. When I put the upper and lower capstrips in the jig I then cut an install the little intercostals. Once dry-fit and assured everythings ok I can then glue and install the gussets. OK, this is where I get confused. Am I required to dab glue on the little pieces then set them in the jig, or can I just put them in dry, then glue the tops and gussets?

The reason I ask is, if I put glue on the ends of the pieces and push them into place I create quite a glue mess and potentiall problem with glue landing on the jig. Based on whatI read, all the strength lie in the gussets and seems to reason if I put glue in the joint itself it really wouldn'tgive it any more strength.

Am I on track thinking this way?

Mike

Latest posts

Back