• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Rigging wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osxuser

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of reassembling a once-flying Skybolt, built 1984. There is a good chance some of you know the airplane, it's been rebuilt a couple times now, the latest one because of some damage in transport.

1. I have access to a set of plans for it, and in the plans I don't see any twist built into the wings. With rigging sticks, there appears to be about 2-3 degrees of twist from the center section to just outboard of the I-Beams. I cranked down on the flying wires a little, but I don't see them getting much straighter than it is right now without some major changes. Anyone else seen twist in the upper wing like that? It almost looks like it was built that way, since both sides exhibit the same thing, and it's twisted in a way that would give aileron authority further into the stall... when the blue side is up.

2. On the flying wires, there doesn't seem to be any kind of safety on the nuts, just plain nuts. Is that normal? I would've thought they would use Nylocks at least, or double nutted them.

3. On the bottom wing, with the aircraft leveled side to side (based on the fuselage tubes in the aft cockpit), it appears the right wing has about 2.2° of dihedral, and the left wing has 1.8°. Where is a good place to measure dihedral from, and is there a way to correct that? The owner isn't super concerned about it, but I'd like to get it as perfect as I can as a place to start.

Latest posts

Back