• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

right engine, wrong prop governor on S2A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedrankine

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing a rigorous review of everything on my S2A in preparation for importing into it Canada. It spends much of its life in Florida , but I am Canadian and my government is a little cranky about me owning a US registered aircraft and flying here at home. So, I am learning the nuances of wading through 40 years of paperwork. There are a few snags, but one particularly onerous one that cropped up is (before I purchased the aircraft), an engine change in 2004, upgrading from IO360 to an AIEO360 . The changeover included a new prop governor, model F6-58 from the model F6-3A that was on the IO360. A review of the Aviat type certificate has revealed that the engine is fine but the -58 prop governor is only allowable on airframe serial numbers 2206 and up. Mine is about 100 or so below that serial number. I “suspect” the -58 is applicable to the AIEO and the -3 to the IO engine. Aviat is standing by their type certificate so I reaching out trying to learn if there is any way that I can prove that my existing configuration is legal. Would there have been a big change with the S2A between serial numbers 2205 and 2206 that negates the use of the -58 ? Perhaps someone has some experience about this issue or knows of an STC I might be missing. Unfortunately this snag has served to ground the plane till I figure it out and / or purchase and install a replacement governor.

Latest posts

Back