• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Rudder Horn Drawing Error

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It has recently come to my attention that the rudder horn drawing in the Aviat S-1S plans is not correct. I may have known this before now but for some reason it didn't trigger any memories for me. They reference the S-2 part number in the plans but there's also a detailed drawing of the part. That's great, sometimes they don't do that for the S-1 builders....well,,, it would be great of the drawing was correct. Since the factory just used the S-2 parts bin to build S-1 rudders it was not important or even known that the S-1 drawing was not updated to match the S-2 drawing.

I've been helping a forum member offline with his S-1 build/rebuild and in the course of building a new rudder he found the horn hit the tailpost well before he got full travel. I had modeled all this in SWx but I had yet to notice that the same problem was present there. I was able to confirm that if you build the horn based on the drawing you will find the horn hits the tailpost at around 23°. The rigging specs call for 30° +/-2° for the rudder travel. I looked at the horn on the S-2A and it is a very different geometry compared to the S-1 drawing. My deflections seem to be about 33° in both directions on the S-2A -- in fact the rudder will lightly touch the elevator at full deflection with a little gentle pressure to simulate a reverse airflow.

Below is a drawing that reflects the S-2 geometry and will result in the horn hitting the rudder stop before it touches the tailpost.......

Attachments

• 2-3300-11, Rudder Horn.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back