• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Runway Resurfacing Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
We have a paved private strip on the property which is in need of repair/resurfacing. It is 50+ years old and is showing its age with cracks and holes. The existing pavement is only about 1" thick and the divots are multiplying. I need advice on options for repair or resurface.

I contacted a recommended paving contractor and they gave me a quote to: pulverize existing, lime treat to 18", grade and compact, 3" of 1/2" type A asphalt. The quote was over $300K or $4.05/sq ft, WAY out of my budget. I suspect I asked for the wrong thing. So I need advice from the Forum. What should I be considering to prolong the life of this runway? What to ask for? How much should it cost? What processes can I do without and which ones are key?

Here are the specs: 1860' x 25' plus ramp and some additional. We are in Northern California so the climate is relatively benign - no hard freezes, no ice/snow, some rain in the winter and a lot of hot and dry. Used for VFR/day sport flying only - no heavy airplanes, no bad weather usage, not a lot of operations. Drainage/grading is OK today. We have been treating with herbicide to stop weeds (got to it late this year due to rains so you see some grass in the photos.)

I am attaching photos so you can see condition (gum pack for scale). Appreciate the wisdom of the group. Thanks for your advice.

-MarkM

IMG_5914.JPG
IMG_5915.JPG
IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5916.JPG

Latest posts

Back