• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

S-1D Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincypilot

Reaction score
Greetings everyone

I currently have a Pitts project going together slowly and it's time to decide on wings. I ordered the S-1SS plans from Steen Aero and really like them but after doing some reading on here and talking with a few people I'm starting to lean more towards a flat bottom wing. Without having too slow of a roll rate I've figured the S-1D wing would probably suit me well but I have a few questions first.

1. From what Ive read the flat bottom wing has a slightly higher cruise speed and a slower landing speed than a symetrical S/SS wing would have. Makes sense to me but just making sure I have my facts straight.

2. I have all of the necessary wing hardware minus flying wiresto construct an S-1S wing already and was wanting to make sure it would work in the S-1D wing. Bellcranks, idlers, drag wires, attach fittings, hinges,etc.

3. I know I will loose some inverted/outside performance to the flat bottom airfoil but are outside loops/tumbles etc. still possible? I understand it will take some more effort but just trying to figure out if the airplane will still be capable of such manuevers.

4. Will I lose snap roll performance compared to a symetrical wing? If so is the airplane still capable of snapping or tumbling manuevers? I understand other factors play into that as well just worrying about the wing differences right now.

5.Are the bottom wings of the D longer than the C/S bottom wings? I read somewhere they are but that may not be true, just clarifying.

I plan on using the airplane mostly for sport flying. If I ever got into contest flying I would consider an S wing but since I'm only going to run 160hp and would like the ability to operate out of slightly shorter fields I feel the flat bottom wing would be a wise choice. To keep roll rates up I figured the D wing is the way to go. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Tom

Edited by: cincypilot

Latest posts

Back