• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

S-1S alternator switch intermittent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly5g

Back in the S-1S gang
Reaction score
My alternator on/off has suddenly become intermittent and I'm not sure of how the wiring circuit looks and whether the panel mounted On/Off switch is controlling a relay or switch in the alternator, or is just a switch in the alternator power line?

I started the engine on Friday and the voltmeter immediately jumped to positive charge, BEFORE I'd turned the alternator on. I toggled the switch on and off and the positive charge remained, so I assumed the switch had become u/s, particularly on the 2nd flight that day when the same thing happened.

Yesterday morning I took the panel switch out and measured resistance across the terminals, which was about 1400 ohms, which increased to infinity when I switched off the alt field switch. I disconnected one of the leads and tested the switch itself, which correctly read 0 and infinity resistance when cycled on and off. I reconnected the lead, remounted the switch and restarted the engine, no charge initially and then charging when I switched the alt on.

Later, I started the engine to fly and the alternator went straight onto charging again before I'd switched on the alt....... I switched off the alt field and the charging voltage went down a little, but still showed a charge......!!??

Does anybody recognise these symptoms?:eek:

Latest posts

Back