• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

S-1S tailwheel breakout problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly5g

Back in the S-1S gang
Reaction score
I've had 2 problems with my S-1S that we're seemingly unable to fix......... one is the radio and the other is tailwheel steering and breakout.............

The aircraft arrived fitted with a Maule, which was VERY reluctant to break out. It quickly became apparent that to have the chains as tight as I needed to get positive steering, the chains were too tight to allow the tailwheel to pivot the 40 or so degrees needed to break out. I suspected that the very narrow S-1 steering arm, which is much narrower than the Maule's steering arm (and an S-2's steering arm) was partly to blame, as it didn't give enough control movement to the tailwheel.

I bought a Matco, with the 25 degree arms, which was better, but again needed to have the chains very loose to get breakout. It turned out the chains were SO loose that I was hardly getting any steering, which is part of the reason we're just completing putting the plane back together ;)

I ordered spare parts for the Maule and it's now working a lot better, but when we refitted it today, we were immediately back to the tightish chains = no break out problem :(

Has anyone tried fitting a wider steering arm to an S-1? Or is there another way to get precise steering AND an easy breakout?!!

Latest posts

Back