• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

S1 Fuel Tanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenR

Registered Users
Reaction score
The first part of this season had been going really well, now it just seems to be one tragedy/problem/irritation etc after another! Anyway minor rant over, my issues aren't exactly the worst in the world.

As part of a very trying few weeks, the latest in the saga is that I managed to crack a weld on my fuel tank during a display, again. This time it was bad. I must admit that my only emotion as the fuel was pouring (literally, not dripping, this was actually pouring out) around my feet was just one of pure frustration. Good job I was over the airfield though.

Anyway after putting her back down, I had to abandon the Pitts and spend many hours on the train home. I have left her in the capable hands of one of my engineering company 'sponsors' (honestly, it could not have happened in a better place!) who have got the tank out and are carrying out repairs and lining it with sealant in an attempt to make it more resiliant. I will be buying another for next time - can any of you recommend what to go for, are there any options other than the standard welded aluminium tank? I'm getting pretty tired of pinhole leaks and cracks where the aluminium is work hardening over time then getting abused over and over again. I know the easiest answer to not damaging the tank would be to fly less aggressively, but we all know that's not an option.

I guess what I'm wondering is have any of you found a solution to the cracking issues, or tried alternatives to the aluminium tanks? I use a small header tank so there's no flop tube banging around in there causing issues, I think it's just pure wear and tear.

Is my best option to just have a spare on the shelf for next season? Or something like a glass-fiber wrap (ala Extras) or even a composite tank? Open to discussion.

Latest posts

Back