• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

S2-B's on barnstormers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
As this forum knows, I've been searching for an S1S for 18 mos, and I think I'd still prefer that, but the wife now says she'd prefer I get another certificated airplane, rather than Experimental. (I own a turbo Mooney already, and after the breathtaking prices of parts, for example, $1200 for an ammeter for the heated prop, I wanted an Experimental.)

In any case, I'm now in the market for an S2, and I'm thinking B hits the sweet spot. I have 10 hours in a C model, but they're a lot more $$.

There are three very nice looking B's on barnstormers right now, all ~$90k, all with ~800 hours, all about the same age (early 1990's). Two have three-blade MT props; the other claims recent renovation.

I sent email to all three and will call them if I don't hear back. I'd like hear from this forum how they would approach this: which looks better & why, what to look for to differentiate, what to ask, who to do a pre-buy in those areas, etc.

For example, the prop: the C I flew had the Claw, which other B owners have told me is the best, but expensive. The Is the MT 3-blade significantly better than the stock 2-blade, and what would it cost to upgrade the refurb'd B at Aviators Unlimited?

Interesting - a check on FAA Registry says N287PS (the refurbed one at Johnny White's) has a canceled reg, exported to Mexico. Indeed, one of the pics has a Mexican registration painted on it. No bueno?

thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back