• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

SD Clamshell Canopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTOO

Reaction score
If any of you are thinking of trying a clamshell style canopy on your Starduster, Skybolt, or any other similar plane I'm here to tell you that it isn't as hard as it looks. Time consuming yes but if I can do it so can you!

A big thanks to smizo also for answering a bunch of questions about bonding the canopy to the frame. The Scotch-Weld and cab-o-sil mix worked well to make a nice looking fillet.

I got a set of plans from Steen however didn't follow them exactly as I used 4130 tube bent and welded in place instead of the fiberglass covered balsa for the spreader bar.

One of the problems of adapting this canopy (Skybolt canopy from Todds Canopies) was the shape of the head and shoulders turtledeck. At first I planned to leave the canopy long and cut it to kind of conform to the turtledeck. This didn't work as it hit the turtledeck in the open position. In the end I just ended up leaving it open at the back and just cutting it off at a bit of an angle. I'm hoping it doesn't cause allot of buffet noise, time will tell but wind will not be a factor.

I ended up with three small cracks coming off one of the holes. Bummer, ended up stop drilling them. They are on the side and not really visible but still upsetting as I thought I was VERY carefull when installing the screws. I made the skirt by laying up four layers of glass while it was all masked off and sitting on the fuselage. After it was set up I trimmed it to size, filled in small pinholes and uneaven spots with Superfill and primed with epoxy primer. I then pulled all the screws used to initially secure the canopy to the frame (now held together by Scotch-Weld), match drilled and countersunk the skirt and attached it with screws and Scotch-Weld.

Allot of work and time invested however it should make those chilly ND months much more comfortable to go flying!

IMG_0241 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0243 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0244 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0245 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0246 (800x600).jpg

Latest posts

Back