• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Sealing the fuselage bottom from exhaust fumes and CO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie L.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious what y’all do to overcome this issue.
Most all fabric covered airplanes, especially open cockpit types, seem to suffer with engine exhaust being sucked up into that nice, big, low pressure area inside the fuselage, and I really want to avoid that if possible.
The Starduster’s hinged and
Internally sprung main gear seems like it’d be a prime candidate for this kind of thing happening, so how do y’all stop this?
I once saw a Kitplanes article about an SA-300 that used “gear doors”
Attached to the gear legs so they can move with the gear, and the opening between the doors and the fuselage sealed with flexible rubber accordion type seals.
Of course, then we have the crankcase vent breather to deal with as well as other open areas on the fuselage.
What say you?
I’m at the point where ai need to start planning for this, as soon as my wings get finished.
Thanks!
Ernie

Latest posts

Back