• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Skybolt Changes thru the years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemGuy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am seriously looking at a never finished Skybolt fuse project from the late 80's. It is in the Denver area and was supposed to have been built at Steen back then. I am getting some more pics sent of the welds and things but what I have seen so far looks good. Did they gas weld those back then?

Other that gear length change is there any major fuse changes that make a newer version much better to an older design? (Like the changes in length on the older Pitts S1) Things that cant be remedied by moving or replacing a tube here and there.
Assuming the build quality is good is there any other reason to not build an older fuse up?
If I wanted to move the pilots seat back to a more reclined position how hard is that? Just move that brace back a few inches and re do the seat?

My goal is to have something fun to play in and maybe do Sportsman level acro. To keep weight and cost down I would plan to go with a 200hp 360.

I am planning to go see the project in person in a couple weeks. Any specific areas to watch out for?

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Latest posts

Back