• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Skybolt Flop Tube & Engine Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_Wolfe

Aerobatic Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today I was out with the 1986 Skybolt, with the baffled fuel tank, and everything up to now has been fine but haven't done a lot of negative-g aerobatics.

Started with 25 gals of fuel, landed with 12-13 gallons. Last thing I did today was inverted flight for 10 seconds. After rolling out and doing a 1.5 turn left spin, about 30 seconds later, engine quit for about 2 minutes before I could get it restarted. Prop stopped but a hit on the starter got it windmilling again. Thankfully I had lots of altitude.

My first thought is the flop tube: How long is the flop tube in the Steen Tank? I don't think it's ever been replaced (the logs don't show it) so it's probably more than due. Aircraft spruce has flop tubes but I don't know the length.

I also thought I'd check how the inverted vent is set up - we have the marquart gear so it's not run down along the gear, but I know it drains on the right side of the cowling (drooled on my feet a few times).

But most importantly, now that the heart rate is back to normal: Any other things you guys can suggest to check?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back