• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Skybolt Gear Truss Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score

Hi gang,

I am getting ready to fabricate the landing gear truss and I just had a quick question concerning one of the measurements.

On page 2 of the Skybolt plans (Revised 11/94), the height of the truss is shown as 4 3/4" from the center of the lower truss crossmember and the 7/8" longeron holes to the center of the 1 1/8" bungee supports. The builders manual states that it is preferable to drill the 7/8" holes for the longerons so that the bottom edge of the holes are flush with the bottom edge of the truss crossmember. I understand all of that but now my question is this: Should the 4 3/4" measurement be taken from the center of the lower crossmember or the center of the 7/8" holes-which are now slightly lower than they are shown on the plans? Does it even matter? I know I'm probably splitting hairs but I didn't want to run into any complications later concerning the geometry of the truss.

Thanks for any help........
Scott

Edited by: Scotty

Latest posts

Back