• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Skybolt IO-360 Needs Major - Upgrades/Update Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_Wolfe

Aerobatic Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HI All,

Started the Conditional inspection on our Skybolt and the Engine just became a nightmare.

Long story short, the engine was old, it sat, it corroded, put back into service, now Cam shot, pistons shot, time for a rebuild... Only 640hours but that was over 33 years...

So, since we're tearing it down anyway... Any suggestions on upgrades/changes to be made during the Major overhaul? I know we could put in high compression pistons (going from 8.5 to 10:1) which would give a bit more HP, but is it worth it? Does it reduce the TBO, and what's been your experience? With a fixed pitch prop, I'm afraid we might have to adjust/change that, too, with any extra HP, and I don't want to go down that additional $$$ road.

Thought of replacing the IO-360 with an IO-540, but just can't afford all that at the moment.

The IO-360 we have is the straight valve version.

With the OH, overhauled Mags, lifetime plugs... at least when it's done it will purr nicely ... I keep saying that to avoid crying into my beer :).

Tailwinds,
DC

Latest posts

Back