• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Skybolt IO-540 Propeller Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topflight2

Reaction score
18 months ago, I purchased a Bolt. Since that time, I've gotten my tailwheel rating (1500 hr MEI pilot) and put a canopy on it. Between those two items and two long winters in central Illinois, it has become quite the hangar queen - much to my dismay.

In prep for good weather, and because of those 18 months of hangar queen time, I am currently having the annual done and everything checked out by my local A&P.

I've just been advised that an outstanding AD on my Hartzel prop will necessitate a prop shop inspection for about $3k. This will be needed every 5 years, and my A&P tells me that this prop is so old that parts may already be difficult/impossible to find.

I'm considering just going with a different/new prop for the IO-540.

Several questions:

1) can you/should you put a fixed-pitch prop on this sized engine?
2) since most of my flying will be local/aerobatic (maybe) is there a need for variable pitch prop?
3) what are opinions on 2 blade vs 3 blade props?
4) fan-favorite props for a Skybolt w/ IO-540?
5) general opinions from Bolt owners on this?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back