• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Skybolt Tailwheel Mounting Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandersen

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I had a couple of on and off list comments around the tailwheel mounting. The concern is around security of the round tailwheel spring under torsional loading. With a flat tailspring, bolt down the end and it won't twist out of the mount. With the round spring, even with the bolt through it, there will be a tremendous torsional force on this and only the sheer strength of the attach bolt will resist this.

I honestly knew when I put the tail-wheel on that my mounting would likely need to be enhanced, so no issues with critiques.

Picture #1 is the Steen tailwheel assembly orderable from their website. It looks like it has a 10 degree bend in the spring. It also appears to have two flats milled into the ends.

Picture #2 is a picture of the Yellowbird tailwheel mounting from Capt. Al Rice's website. http://www.captalrice.com/

Picture #3 is a picture of how Al Rice did his. http://www.captalrice.com/Skybolt%20Landing%20Gear.htm (see very bottom)

Picture #4 is a picture of my first cut of the tailwheel mounting. As you can see, I don't have a bend in the tailspring (yet?). Also I did not mill in the flats on the tail spring either. If I am correct, the Steen round tailspring is two inches shorter than the stock Aviation Products Inc. shipped spring. I just drilled at the very end with the understanding that I could shorten this up as required later.

Picture #5 is a closer detail of the current tailspring mounting. No flats have been machined yet. I'll likely have this done.

Talking with Aviation Products, Inc. the spring is bent cold is a hydraulic press. Adding an angle will increase the torsional loading.

I'll give Steen a call next week to see what they say. In the mean time I would really like any suggestions and thoughts on securely mounting the round tail spring.

Thanks! Ward

Steen Tailwheel.jpg

yellowbird tailwheel.jpg

Al Rice's Tailwheel.jpg

2012-12-29 17.43.04a.jpg

tailwheel mount 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back