• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Smith Mini vs Baby Great Lakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beberle

Reaction score

Hello all,
I'm looking at the Smith Miniplane or Baby Great Lakes. They seem to be about the same size; are the cockpits the same size? I'm 5'10" and 200lbs, I know that it'll be thight. Are the cockpits the same size as a Pitts? It'll be easier for me to find a Pitts to try on than a local Smith or Baby.
It seems like the Smith is more often overbuillt than the Baby. I see plenty of Miniplanes listed with 0-290s and 320s, putting them empty at max gross. More often, the Baby's have C-65s or C-85s. There's a Baby on Ebay right now w/ a C-65 that will hold me and full fuel just below gross. Not sure about CG!
I'm looking for my 1st airplane. Small enough to share a hanger, small engine that sips gas, and 1-seat-is-enough. I rent our club's Citabria if someone else wants to fly ;-)
Do they have similar flying characteristics? My impression is that the Baby is lighther and more composed in the air. I'm just looking for an open-air machine that will put a smile on my face with the occasional barrel roll.
I'm learning aerobatics in a Bucker Jungmann, the front cockpit fits like a glove, hopefully the Smith and Baby are just as accomodating ;-)

Brian

Edited by: beberle

Latest posts

Back