• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Snowballing some Ideas for a sliding canopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Ok, as some of you may know, I'm doing a sliding canopy. For aesthetics, aerodynamics, and cause I want to! :D

I've been putting some thought into it while not being bludgeoned by classes And I think I've come up with a pretty solid design. Sadly I don't have any pictures or drawings.

General plan is: three rail design, no telescoping rails, 'sealed' cockpit, mainly for the noise and for the possibility of doing a pressurized cockpit. There will be four phases or set points. The first will be fully forward locked and sealed, fully forward but open to vent, partially opened just a few inches for ventilation, and all the way back and locked.

So here is the tricky part, or I guess different. There will be two rails running along the side of the cockpit, and one rail running along the back of the turtledeck (which will really suck because my PO did a beautiful job on it). The sliding portion of the cockpit will then have three rollers, two alongside the cockpit, one on the back. The two along the side will be a roller type, possibly like a telescoping rail, or at least the track portion the one along the back will have to have a recessed portion in the front so it can drop down and seal, this could be done by having the final portion of the rear rail on a hinge so it can be operated by a lever to pull it down, with a pin or bar coming out to lock it in place.

The point of having the three rail over the two rail would be to limit the amount the motion mechanism protrudes out into the airflow, the rollers could provide motion until the bend in the body and then the remaining 30 or so inches could be done on rails inside the canopy attached to the rollers.

Just throwing some ideas out there, hoping for some feed back!

Latest posts

Back