• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

So..When to sell a plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
I have a Pitts S1S and a Citabria. Last year I only flew the 7ECA 42 hours. I don't owe anything on it, and it only costs me about 2,000 dollars a year to keep it when I factor in insurance, MX issues (like right now I need to replace the vacuum pump), and the annual. I can afford it, but I have other factors.

I have an instrument ticket and have to rent a plane to stay current. So I end up renting a plane about 10 hours a year just to shoot 12 approaches..blah, blah.

I pretty much only fly the Citabria when someone else wants to go flying.... My wife, some airport bum... Etc. My Wife only flies with me about 10 hours a year to take a trip to visit her family or the occasional flight to grab lunch. I try to fly it an hour a week just so it does not sit... But it is work at times.

My wife would like to take longer trips to visit her family in North GA, but a VFR only airplane that only does about 100MPH is not the best XC plane. So when you figure the plane only costs me about 2000/year and I can rent an IFR 172 for 140ish an hour. Figure the Wife still rides around with me 10 hours that is about 1400/year... But we will actually go places, maybe even file IFR and if needed could actually shoot an approach instead of running for the ground if the WX is not great.

Long story short, it would maybe save some money since I am having to rent a plane anyway right now.

The other factor is I look at the plane and see:
1. I own that freaking airplane!!!! That's awesome!
2. That is a paid for 35-45K dollar asset.
3. If something happens to the engine... It is a potential 20K liability.
4. Maybe it is a good time to sell?

So I look at it as a bad savings account with a potential big risk and it is a depreciating asset.

It has a 2400 hour TBO and it is sitting at about 1800. So 600 hours away. I know TBO is just a number, but selling a plane that is 600 from TBO is better (I think) than one that is 400, 300, 200...etc).

The Citabria is great.. I call it my "Unlimited Class Pancake Getter". But when I factor in that I rent anyway for IFR and can rent a plane to take my Wife actual places with better safety and speed, and the whole "when to sell" question pops into my head.

The only real disadvantage I can think of is that I would not be able to take people up for a loop/roll/spin and pop their cherry.....

So...... Thoughts? I know I will miss it if it is gone. But I have a Pitts to make me feel better.

Latest posts

Back