• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Spar material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wondered off into possession of a few Stearman spars . Haven't cleaned them up yet or planed them for inspection . I'm aware of the knowledge and experience of members here on the Forum so opinions and input towards cutting and shaping for use in spars that can be used in a smaller/thinner airfoil such as an AcroSport , Pitts , or Smith Miniplane would be very helpful and definately appreciated . One of my concerns is the existing hardware holes in the spars . It appears that there is no possible way to rip the dimensions without having to contend with holes somewhere in the intended new use . Another concern is length . I'm playing around mostly with the Smith mini's and they have a one piece upper wing with 17 ft. span . The majority of these spars are 16 ft. in length and will need a splice . This leaves me to believe that a splice in the center of the wing , between the cabanes would be acceptable ? . Pitts upper wings are spliced in the center and swept but have a completely different cabane design . I don't plan any activity really soon on new wings but the longer I have to toss the options around the clearer it can become . Thanx ahead for any input that you might interject . I never stop learning . When that time comes , there's gonna be a hellova garage sale . Thanx šŸ’

Latest posts

Back