• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

stall speed acrosport 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertsailor

Reaction score
Nothing better to do yesterday so I took the bugsmasher for a little ride to check my stall speed. Using a GPS and flying the 4 Cardinal points my average stall speed worked out to 49.5 knots. My indicated airspeed was 10 mph faster.
Playing around I checked my ASI at 80 mph and got an average speed of 60 knots.
Finally I checked my cruise speed at 2400 rpm and I was about 10-11 mph faster on the ASI than GPS.

A couple of weeks ago I did a few hours of circuits trying different approaches and speeds and set it up just by feel/gut and glanced a few times at the ASI and it was just under 90mph on a consistent basis on a normal approach and around 80mph on short field landing approach.
After my check of the accuracy on the ASI I can see that my real airspeed was about 10 mph lower or 80mph normal and a little over 70 short field.
Sorry to mix up knots and mph but my GPS was reading knots and my ASI is mph.

Latest posts

Back