• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Starduster History N147DA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Kris, since you are so enamored with the round power Stardusters here is another one.

It was built by Dave Allen back in the 90s, and was owned by Don Fauth for a number of yrs, unfortunately Don passed away at 53 yrs old heart attack and his woman sold it for north of 50 grand! The new owner wrecked it on the fifth landing of his check out, the insurance co put it up for bid and a friend bought it for the engine,as believe it or not this engine had been the original one off his Stearman after the war! And also since Al Ball was the guy that rebuilt the engine. He then sold it to a guy on Independence Airport, and I re built it for him. It had broken spars in the left lower wing, and left gear damage as well as truss failure.

I flew it around the airport for a bout 6hrs and delivered it on memorial day 2005 ,and it has not been flown since! It has also been deregistered!
It was an awful airplane to fly, my son nicknamed it Massive! It needed about a dozen things fixed and changed, that the new owner did not want to spend the money to do so! It was the only airplane I ever flew that required two hands and full up trim to flair! Of course I have skinny arms and boney legs, it had about 15 degrees of up elevator, and about 30 degrees down!

It had a full length larger diameter push rod from the reverser to the elevator horn like an Acroduster only it was to short, and there was no way to get it out of the airplane with out cutting the fabric and the new owner did not want to do that! It was really nose heavy and needed negative incidence in the horizontal stabilizer, But this could not be done with out major surgery of cutting the stabilizer loose and re-welding it lower in the fuselage!

Paul Schafers Starduster N105NL flew much better!

Dave

N147DA small.JPG

N147DA.jpg

N147DA rebuild 1 small.jpg

N147DA rebuild 2 small.jpg

N147DA rebuild 3 small.jpg

N147DA rebuild 4 small.jpg

N147DA Cover Custom Planes 1998 small.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back