• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Starting S1 update and re-cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbiker

Reaction score
The little squawks on my 33 year old S-1E have been adding up, so I've taken the plunge and started a refurb. The fabric and paint were the original Polyfiber and still looked pretty decent on the fabric, but the sheet metal was really starting to show its age.

This picture was taken about four years and 200 hours ago about a week after I bought it from the original builder.
20101022_220027_BZ_FlyingS_1_sm.jpg

Here's what it looked like today as I pulled the firewall. Wings are coming off Sunday.

20101022_220247_engine_off_smal.jpg

Plans include new Wolf gear (ordered), updated ailerons/wingtips, new rudder and elevators and a new prop. There are a bunch of smaller details that will get cleaned up as well. I'll post updates as interesting stuff happens.

Hope to be done by spring. Not sure which spring...

Ian

P.S. - Thanks for the help changing out the old oil temp setup and going electric. That worked well and has solved the nagging oil leak.

Latest posts

Back