• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Steen CAD plans and compression ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windjammer

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am in the process of starting my Pitts project. I have both the S-1S plans and the CAD S-1C plans from Steen.

One thing in particular concerns me. Looking at the Steen plans, I cannot see any special instructions for the compression ribs, although everything I have read elsewhere tells me that the compression ribs have wider capstrip and plywood on both sides. The plans simply do not show this as far as I can see.
There are other details in the S-1C CAD plans that I have discovered to be either incorrect or incomplete. And I am a novice at airplane building, so this worries me.

An S-1C would be perfectly adequate for me, but I am thinking of building the S-1S simply because I trust the plans more. I want this to be first and foremost a sportplane, not an all out aerobatic contest performer.

Are Curtis Pitts' original plans, still sold by Steen, more complete/better?

I would appreciate any advice/insight on this. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back