• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Stowing a dipstick in the cowl?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the risk of starting a flame war…

My fuel dipstick is a wooden dowel, which I store in the turtledeck of my Starduster Too. It crossed my mind this weekend that I have to walk from the rear cockpit and around the wingtip to get to the main tank to dip the fuel. Then I have to make the same trip to return the dipstick. I always do this immediately instead of putting it down and potentially forgetting it, even if I’m not heading that way atm.

So I started thinking about where I could stow it in front of the wing…

I’m considering keeping it inside the cowl, accessible through the oil door. I figure Checking the fuel and oil go hand-in-hand, and even if I’m just checking fuel and not oil, it’s stop right there.

Securing would be no problem…probably put a tube/rings transverse across the top of the motor mount just inside the oil door… but I’m a little uneasy about putting a gas-soaked piece of kindling so close to my expensive Lycoming!

Thinking it through, I really can’t imagine a scenario where this would actually initiate a fire…but it just seems SO WRONG.

Opinions?

Where do you all keep your dipstick?

Latest posts

Back