• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

TBI O-320 RPM Loss After Takeoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freerangequark

Free relationships, easy and simple
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
TBI O-320 RPM Loss After Takeoff. RPM Dropped to around 1700-1800 RPM.

This is a new thread since I don't know that this is a fuel issue at this point. :confused:

I'm getting very frustrated with this intermittent problem and I am scared to fly the plane again until I solve it. I thought I had found the cause, fixed it, enjoyed a great performing engine on the test flight, flew and additional three hours, and then it occurred again.

What is making this so frustrating is that the problem is intermittent and I cannot find a pattern to safely reproduce it.

The next item I will be investigating is the possibility of sticking valves. I will probably have the engine shop do this work since I don't have all the specialty tools.

I'll be testing all the spark plugs again.

I also want to revisit the fuel tank vent. The vent line exits the top of the tank, turns down the firewall with a few zig zags, and exits the cowl at the bottom of the firewall. It terminates with a 45 degree forward facing cut. This is masked from direct airflow via the bottom lip of the cowl. Because of the zig zags, i have been unable to snake anything through it. I have hose clamped a rubber hose to it and can blow air through it. I can't gauge airflow through it. What else can I do here to check the vent line? (the last time this happened, the tank was 3/4 full and I had removed the cap from the tank to verify the fuel level. If the vent was blocked or partially blocked, would the problems start suddenly or gradually? I would think gradually.

I'll be getting a second set of eyes on the fuel system.

What else can explain this?? :confused:

Thanks,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back