• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Test flying a used airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've located a plane that I think might be the right one to buy (sadly not a biplane). I was thinking to myself, what do I want to check on the test flight? Then I thought, this is a good group to check in with.

The plane I found is a shockingly pristine (but underutilized) Champ 7EC that comes with an enclosed hangar attached, on the airport that's my second choice for where to base my plane. The price is appropriate to the condition of the plane based on what I know now. Assuming the test flight goes well, it'll get a thorough pre buy checkout by a mechanic who isn't familiar with this plane, but knows Champs well. I am already well aware of potential engine neglect/corrosion issues.

Things I've thought of that I want to check:

How well do I fit in the cockpit?
What is a power off stall like?
What is a power on stall like?
What is the indicated cruise speed at various RPMs?
How well does the radio work?
Does ATC see my transponder? Full mode C?
How are wheel landings?
How are 3 point landings?

I've got the other phases of purchase pretty well figured out, but the test flight is not something I've dedicated a lot of thought to yet. What are other things that you'd want to check on a test flight?

Latest posts

Back