• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

The culture of N-numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, among the things I can do while I wait somewhat impatiently for events to unfold which will allow me to start a build is to think about tail numbers. Specifically, I'm looking at the tail numbers that are available, and a thought crosses my mind: Why would anyone pick a 5-digit tail number, when (if I'm reading the rules correctly), you can have a 2-3 digit tail number? Funny story: I isn't allowed in a tail number, so my first dream of having an IJ tail number has been pre-dashed (probably for the better).

Are we trying to make them hard to remember, so people on the ground can't ID the plane too easily? I'm just thinking that the thing I'll be doing every time I fly (talking to ATC or announcing my intentions on CTAF) will have me spewing a string of digits every time I call, and I'd prefer to have it as short as possible. It'd be pretty cool to be N5X or something. But then, maybe that would be confusing, and every call to ATC would involve some variation on, "Yes, Biplane 5 x-ray is my complete callsign."

Thoughts? (Yes, this falls firmly into the category of couch flying, no need to tell me I'm thinking about it too much. I want to hear people's reasons behind tail number choice, even if it's just "I took what they gave me.")

Latest posts

Back