• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

The lies they told me in school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a youngster, they taught me (probably in some intro to physics type class) that a wing flies because of its airfoil shape. That is, the low pressure of the air moving faster over the top plus the higher pressure on the bottom of the wing (all down to the Bernoulli principle) were the sum total of lift factors on the wing.

This is probably not literally what they taught me, but it's the information I took away: Bernoulli low pressure basically sucks the airplane off the ground. No mention of angles of attack, or deflection adding to lift. I finally read a book which touched on aerodynamics (alas, I've forgotten which one now, possibly Stick and Rudder, but probably not), and it explained in no uncertain terms that the majority of lift comes from the downward deflection of air from the bottom of the wing (in other words, a flat barn door held at the right angle would produce similar lift). The low pressure over the top helps, but it's helping, not doing all the work. The airfoil shape allows the wing to maintain laminar flow at higher angles of attack, mostly.

This finally made it click in my brain. I went through flight training and years of flying without ever making the connection between angle of attack and lift and where the pressure must be doing things. Everyone I've ever mentioned this to (who has any memory of learning this) has had the same misconception that I have: that the airfoil shape is tremendously important and basically produces all the lift.

I realize this seems like a fairly Aeronautics-101 kind of thing, but it was a huge revelation for me. Finally I understand how a symmetrical airfoil can work.

Hopefully I'm just the last to catch on, but I figured I'd post it here for future newbies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back