• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

TIG welding problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano

Reaction score
I have been TIG welding a Pitts S1 fuselage for the last couple months and for the most part I could not be more pleased at the results. However, when I was welding the left side seat bottom tube to the small (about 3") support tube I ran into a very stage phenomenon. I had cleaned both ends with a sandpaper "flapper" and I ran an acetone soaked rag down the inside of the tube as well as wiping down the outside. I had tacked both ends as well as the support tube with no issues. I even fully welded both end of the tube just fine. When I went to fully weld the support tube the puddle was moving along nicely and then I heard a "POP" and the side of the puddle, not even the hottest point, had blown out! :eek::mad:I though maybe I stepped on the gas hose and stopped my shielding gas so I carefully closed the hole up and went on my way only to have it happed again and again. :mad:

I was able to move on to other joints and weld them up just fine so I don't think it is the welder or my gas. I have come to the conclusion that the pipe will need to me removed and a new one put in its place but I have no idea what could be causing the issue.:confused:

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts

Back