• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Trim, Servo, or Balance Tab?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I've noticed some confusion here on just what sort of tab is on a particular airplane so I thought I would at least explain how the difference was explained to me.

Trim Tab; The simplest of all, a small tab screwed, riveted or welded to the trailing edge of a control surface that can be bent to correct for heaviness or correct cruse flight trim.

Cockpit controlled Trim Tab; A hinged variant of the Trim Tab that is attached with a linkage of some sort that allows the pilot to set the tab to a specific point in flight.

Balance Tab; A hinged tab that is linked in such a way that it moves in the opposite direction of the control surface to reduce or "Balance" the control forces. Usually ground adjustable.

Balance/Trim Tab; Used with a cockpit controlled device that allows the pilot to trim the airplane in addition to providing reduced control forces.

Servo Tab; A tab that is rigged into the control system in such a way that the initial movement of the control only moves the Tab and the Tab drives the control surface through a specified range requiring very little force on the control input. The linkage provides that larger control inputs move the control surface.

Anti Servo Tab; Used on stabilators (Piper) to return the control surface to neutral as I understand them but I am least familiar with how these work.

Any one with a more technical explanation is welcome to comment.

Edited by: Neil

Latest posts

Back