• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Turboprop S1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about a Pitts S1 with a TP-100 turboprop?
http://www.pbsvb.com/customer-industries/aerospace/aircraft-engines/tp-100-turboprop-engine

There would be some CG work to do and more fuel volume to chase but if the power and weight claims are close it'd be a fun 30 minutes. With a single-stage compressor it is a thirsty little engine.

• Dry weight of the engine is 136lb. Figure ~200lb by the time you have oil, accessories and a prop.
  • SFC is .863 lb/HP/hr (214 hp) at max continuous so fuel flow is about 185 lb per hour (27.6 gph).
  • Takeoff power (5 min) is 241 hp at a slightly better SFC of .847 at 204 lb/hr (30.5 GPH)

I'm not too serious, I'm just curious if anyone else has already thought about it.

I know about the Turbo Raven and Toucan with the PT-6's but they're in another piggy bank category. This one is only moderately too expensive :D but is comparable to a new AEIO-540.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back