• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Turtle deck skinning Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzm

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting everything to stay in place and clamp flat so that I can start drilling and cleco-ing a skin to my turtle deck. It feels like 8 pairs of hands wouldn't be enough. Is there a trick to this? I've got three bulkheads and a seat pan that make a straight line:

JnrrxiP.jpg

a skin that hasn't been trimmed to length, but has been cut for the H-stab tube, vertical stabilizer, and trimmed to width:

v9hpqNWr.jpg

a few failed attempts to get everything to lay flat:

cmtt9fS.jpg

I also have extra aluminum, if I'm on the wrong track altogether. I made a template for this skin out of card stock, but that is much easier to work with.

Unfortunately what I don't have is the experience with sheet metal to know where I'm going wrong. Any tips?

I suspect that the right way is to abandon the cardboard template, drill and cleco along the "spine" of the t-deck with a skin that only has the v-stab cutout, and then gradually work towards the edge, drilling and cleco-ing as I go. I'm a little concerned about twisted bulkheads if I do that though, as I'll still need to hold three things in fixed places while I drill.

Latest posts

Back