• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Weight & Balance/Tailwheel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyJ

Reaction score
I know there are multiple W&B threads here on the forum, but none of them specifically address my questions, so please indulge me and help a poor dumb Ohio hillbilly.

Here's the background:

I just finished my Skybolt and even with an IO-540 hiding under the hood it scales at 1275 (oil but no fuel), which makes me pretty happy. Generally I understand the 540 birds come in significantly over 1300. What made me most definitely unhappy is that when I plop in it I wind up with a C.G. 1/2" aft of limit, and that's after moving the battery.

So I have a few questions that will help me decide the appropriate action(s):

1. Assuming I can get the CG in tolerance, it will likely still be aft of nominal (L.E. of bottom wing). Does anyone have experience flying a Skybolt with a CG aft of ideal, and if so, is it an issue?
  2. My current tailwheel is a Scott 3200, which is a boat anchor. What is the lightest tailwheel assembly I can replace this with, and how much weight might I save? Weight savings that far aft make a huge difference.
  3. Given that the lightest tailwheel will probably be a locking type, what are the drawbacks? I have never flown a locking tailwheel.
  4. If I have to hang weight on the nose, is the best path to just strip off my B&C starter (sob) and replace it with the stock piece of crap? I hate the idea of adding weight.
  5. Any other suggestions to get that CG moved? Yes, I know I can lose weight, but at 6'5" I'll never be 150lb. Even at 210 I look like a stick.
Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. Watch my show The Big Brain Theory on the Discovery Channel, Wednesdays at 7pm. It was a heck of a lot of fun to make, and you'll get a big kick out of seeing engineering nerds trying to build things. Plus you can say you know somebody who was stupid enough to do a reality TV show... :D

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back